Wilson Co-Sponsors Empowering Patients First Act.
Representative Joe Wilson (SC-02) issued the following statement after co-sponsoring H.R. 3000, the Empowering Patients First Act:
“This legislation will not only repeal the President’s health care reform law but it will also replace it with patient-centered solutions. This is a viable solution in providing accessible and affordable health care to American families. The Empowering Patients First Act would also address key issues such as pre-existing illnesses and lawsuit abuse reform. House Republicans will not stop in our efforts to repeal the President’s health care law while making lasting reforms that ensure the government does not interfere with the relationships patients have with their doctors.”
The Empowering Patients First Act is sponsored by Congressman Tom Price, M.D. (R-GA):
“Rather than greater power and faith in government, the Empowering Patients First Act believes in patients and their doctors. It ensures that individuals maintain control of their health care decisions. Patient-centered, positive solutions are at the core of moving our nation in the right direction. This bill does just that.”
The Empowering Patients First Act:
· Makes the purchase of health coverage financially feasible for all Americans, covers pre-existing conditions, protects employer-sponsored insurance, and shines light on existing health care plans.
· Grants more choices and portability to the patient and also gives employers more flexibility in the benefits offered. It also expands the individual market by creating several pooling mechanisms.
· Since physicians know the best care for their patient, this legislation establishes doctor-led quality measures, ensuring that patients receive quality care. It encourages healthier lifestyles by allowing employers more flexibility to offer discounts for healthy habits through wellness and prevention programs.
· Reins in out-of-control costs by reforming the medical liability system.
· Offsets the cost of the plan through decreasing defensive medicine, savings from health care efficiencies, sifting out waste, fraud and abuse, and bringing the nation’s budget under control.